Forensic Science Blog Photo

Career Advice Section

Filed under Career Advice

books

I need some advice – who can I talk to?

This Career Advice Blog Section was created for students enrolled or interested in enrolling in a Forensic Science Graduate Program. Here you can talk to your peers and other people in your area of interest to provide and receive pertinent advice. Our Forensic Science Online Program has over 1000 current and past students from every possible career that involves forensic science. Talk to other students about careers, further study, jobs, applications, re-training and related topics. Anybody can read the messages and post here!

Comments

• Yghannam says:

Keep up the good work using nice picture for the news articles presented in this blog. I think this new section about carrer advice will be also great so maybe us students can help each other , like for example for those that would need help making a resume, or about how to prepare for an interview. I take a lot of proud for the quality education that I did recieve while doing my master in forencis science. And I am hoping with the help of God, and my own effort to reach out one day a PhD in Forensics or Molecular Biology or in Criminal Justice. Good luck for all those looking for a job!

• Alicia says:

This is from ABC – The Australian Broadcasting Corporation and it’s related to the CSI effect: the perceptions of real-world forensic science.

What do you think? What are/were the main reasons why you decided to study forensic sciences?

*Glamour of forensics steals potential mining engineers

The Australian mining industry is being affected by the popularity of American television shows like CSI, Without A Trace, and NCIS.

The Queensland Resources Council says Australia desperately needs more mining engineers.

But chief executive Michael Roche says many mathematically-minded students are opting to study forensic science over engineering, because it’s being glamorised on television.

“Well there’s no doubt that programs like CSI had them queuing out the door to become forensic scientists, and there’s a place for forensic scientists in all societies,” he says.

“The pity of it was that a lot of those young people who might have been qualified in forensic science would be better paid, better travelled and in greater demand working in the mining industry.”

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/200909/s2687727.htm

• Y ghannam says:

I found this information, and I think it can be helpful for some of you when seating down to write a good resume. Here is the link, http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/jcc/profile.asp?sstrOccupationCode=194092&strMethod=keyword

FORENSIC SCIENCE TECHNICIANS

Occupation Description:

Collect, identify, classify, and analyze physical evidence related to criminal investigations. Perform tests on weapons or substances, such as fiber, hair, and tissue to determine significance to investigation. May testify as expert witnesses on evidence or crime laboratory techniques. May serve as specialists in area of expertise, such as ballistics, fingerprinting, handwriting, or biochemistry.

Career Video:

View a brief introduction to Forensic Science Technicians
    Open-captioning for the hearing impaired. Requires free Media PlayerTMor RealPlayerTM

Typical Tasks:

• Testify in court about investigative and analytical methods and findings.
    • Keep records and prepare reports detailing findings, investigative methods, and laboratory techniques.
    • Interpret laboratory findings and test results in order to identify and classify substances, materials, and other evidence collected at crime scenes.
    • Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus.
    • Prepare solutions, reagents, and sample formulations needed for laboratory work.
    • Analyze and classify biological fluids using DNA typing or serological techniques.
    • Collect evidence from crime scenes, storing it in conditions that preserve its integrity.

Skills:

• Science – Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems..
    • Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively..
    • Quality Control Analysis – Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance..
    • Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents..
    • Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems..
    • Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times..
    • Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience..

Knowledge:

• Chemistry – Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods..
    • Law and Government – Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process..
    • English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar..
    • Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction..
    • Public Safety and Security – Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions..
    • Mathematics – Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications..
    • Computers and Electronics – Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming..

Search for Jobs on Connecticut’s Labor Exchange (CTJOBcentral):

Search for Forensic Science Technicians Jobs

(Please note that some searches may not produce any results.)
    Education & Training:

Associate degree

View Related Programs on Connecticut’s Education & Training ConneCTion site

Wage Information:

Region Average Annual Average Hourly Entry Level (hourly) Mid-Range (hourly)
    Statewide Units $69,681.00 $33.50 $25.44 $27.34 – $39.79

Occupation Outlook:

Sorry, outlook information is not available for this occupation.

Similar Occupations:

• Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health
    • Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
    • Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
    • Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders

————————————–

- Another advice is to please be careful filling state and federal aplications. They are a little demanding …just follow everything they tell you to do with the aplication. Otherwise, they will return your aplication incomplete.

Cheers,

Yvette-CT

• Alicia Lusiardo says:

Thanks for the info Yvette!

• Oliver Grundmann says:

Hi everybody,

there are a number of valuable resources that can be utilized to get information on the different areas of Forensic Sciences as well as to give you an overview of what is expected of you in order to enter the field as well as what you can expect in terms of career development.

The American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) has a good overview of what Forensic Sciences is and what diverse career paths a forensic scientist can take: http://www.aafs.org/default.asp?section_id=resources&page_id=choosing_a_career

The Society of Forensic Toxicologists (SOFT) also gives a short introduction to Forensic Toxicology and the responsibilities and work of forensic toxicologists: http://www.soft-tox.org/default.aspx?pn=Introduction

Best wishes,
    Oliver

• Alicia Lusiardo says:

Thanks Oliver!

• clarissa jane lewis says:

im a forensic science student at coventry college but im not sure of my options after, i dont want to go into forensics but i want to teach others how to, any ideas of how i may do so?
    regards,
    clarissa lewis x

• Ian Tebbett says:

Hi Clarissa
    I am originally from Coventry so know exactly where you are. I did my forensic degree at Strathclyde in Glasgow and then taught there for 5 years. Being in an academic environment allowed me to do case work which is important if you are going to teach the subject, but also research and tach. I moved to the US again in an academci position and along the way was director of an operational lab but still associated with the University of Florida. Given the number of colleges and even high schools that are now implementing forensic programs, there are many opossibilites to find a teaching position in an academic setting, if you have some background in the subject.
    Good Luck
    Ian

• Colette says:

Clarissa, Have you looked into becoming a high school teacher? If you get a multi-disciplinary science degree it’s possible you could teach in one or more areas of science. For instance, my undergrad is in exercise physiology and my masters is in forensic drug chem. Between them I am eligible to be certified to teach both biology and chemistry at the high school level. I will caution that regulations are different in each state, so research wisely. But my point is that as a high school science teacher you have the opportunity to incorporate forensic science into your teaching and influence the next generation to consider this field.

• Chastity says:

Hi, my name is Chastity; I am a high school senior who is interested in becoming a futuer Forensic Scientist. I was just wondering if I could get any feedback on a few things.

If you are as so kind as to reply to this posting.

I would like to know your name, job title, & place of employment.

Here are the following questions.

What experience or knowledge is required to do your job?
    How do the following characteristics apply to your job: think, value, communicate, & act?

What type of projects, assignments or deadlines must you meet each day>

Does your job require overtime and what is your work schedule?

What is the typical entry level salary for this field?

What preparation or courses did you find necessary or helpful upon entering the job? What was your major in college?

Can you suggest some ways a student could obtain this necessary experience?

What is the biggest challenge you encounter?

If you were entering this career today, would you change your preparation in any way to facilitate entry?

What advice would you give some thinking about this career?

THANK YOU So much.

If need be you can e-mail me at

mschastity2umr@aol.com

• Sindhu A says:

Hi
    I am interested in transferring to the department of forensics at UF. I would like to know if there are good job opportunities for international students in this field.

• Labrat says:

I have been studying an MSc in Forensic Archaeology and it was great however the jobs seem pretty scarce or require lots of experience and so the search continues. There are some good links to job opportunities here http://www.forensic-jobs.net

• Gator Mike says:

My Daughter is very interested in taking Forensic Anthropology at UF (since I paying :) and was hoping to find out if any programs or classes would let a high school student sit in one day. If anyone knows of a class or lab tour PLEASE let me know. She is a 4.0 gpa, fast learner adn at the top of her science class and getting to take college courses in the next school year free from her school because of her motivation and class studies. My email is keysfisherman at yahoo com. Thanks in advance.

• dr.haider ali says:

dear friends,
    any one has any information regarding forensic medicine and toxicology uf inquiry centre in india,delhi

• Davia says:

I am from Jamaica and I would love to become a forensic scientist in America or even an international one. However, I don’t know how to choose between the different fields in forensics. I need major help. please give me good advice. I would really appreciate it. Also can I become a forensic in other parts of the world if I study at the universty in Jamaica (UWI) also I am thinking of applying to Barry university and UF. I need to start my applictations by the end of this year so please include the necessary major for each field :) thank you

• Naomie Tran says:

Hello, everyone. I’m an international student in America. I’m a freshman in college. I’m interested in forensic fields and hopes I can work as a forensic scientist in America because my country doesn’t have this major or this job. I’m in chemistry major now, and I plan to get the Master in forensic chemist or toxicology. However, I keep wondering if an international student like me can work as a forensic scientist in America. Could anybody let me know the answer for this question?

Thank you ^^

• Brady Skinner says:

Dear UF Forensic Science Following,
    I am about to start my last semester in the forensic science masters program and have begun the long process of job searching. I am looking to relocate to Washington, DC and was wondering if anybody knew of any jobs or had any connections in the area? Right now I am applying to everything I can find but have had no luck. Please help!

Thanks,
    Brady Skinner